This weekend I reinstalled my desktop at home. I decided to use Windows Server 2008 R2 as the OS. (Click Here to view my guide on installing Windows 2008 as a desktop OS)
One problem I had during the setup is that the Zune Software setup will block the install on a non-approved OS like Windows Server 2008. I played around for a while and found out how to install the software.
- Download the software.
- Login to the computer with the local administrator account.
- From a command line, run zunesetuppkg-x64.exe /x. Then give a location to extract files to. C:/ZuneTemp
- Browse to the packages folder.
- Right-Click on Zune-x64.msi and click Install
- Follow the prompts like a regular install of the software.
I did this install on Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Zune Software version 184.108.40.206